Huangpu River divides Shanghai, China, into an old settlement on the west and a new financial center on the east.
Johannes Eisele | Afp | Getty Images
China’s latest wave of Covid regulations Millions of people (about three times as many as New York City) stayed at home and were forced to undergo extensive virus testing in the big cities of Shanghai.
As the number of cases of Covid began to surge in late February, Shanghai sought to curb the outbreak with a targeted blockade of the neighborhood. However, the city, the world’s transportation, manufacturing, financial and trading center, decided to implement a two-step blockade in late March. This quickly applied to all districts and generally forced people to leave the apartment.
Most people outside of China know that Shanghai is big, but few understand how big it is economically. The numbers below show the size of Shanghai as an economic center and may indicate the cost of the blockade.
Shanghai is at the mouth of the Yangtze River, one of China’s two major rivers.
According to Bernstein:
- Shanghai is home to the busiest ports in the world, followed by Singapore.
- Pudong Airport in Shanghai is the third busiest freight airport in the world after Memphis, Tennessee and Hong Kong.
According to Citi, Shanghai accounted for 7.3% of China’s exports and 14.4% of its imports in 2021.
According to Citi, Shanghai is from China:
- The most important semiconductor manufacturing center home to SMIC, Hua Hong and Universal Scientific Industrial.
- Home of many car producers: SAIC Motor, a SAIC joint venture with Volkswagen GM, Nio, Tesla When Ford..
- Headquarters or major centers of Chinese business of multinational companies: AppleL’Oreal, Samsung Electronics, P & G, L’Oreal, LVMH, NikePanasonic, Philips, Johnson & Johnson, General ElectricAbove all.
- Ship producer bases: Gangnam, China, Waigao Chao Shipbuilding.
In Shanghai, the official figures for 2021 indicate that:
- The average disposable income is 78,027 yuan ($ 12,288), more than double the national average of 35,128 yuan ($ 5,531).
- The average personal consumption is 48,879 yuan, which is twice the national average of 24,100 yuan.
And as of last year, Shanghai Most coffee shops in the country, According to Meituan, the ratio of Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Beijing is about 2, while there are about 3 stores per 10,000 people.
According to the US News and World Report, Shanghai has three of the top 20 universities in China.
According to the official census, the number of foreigners living in Shanghai decreased to 163,954 in 2020, a decrease of 21% compared to 10 years ago. Southern Guangdong is currently home to the largest number of foreigners in China, with more than 400,000.
The total number of foreigners in the country has increased by about 40% to 1.4 million in the last 10 years. This represents about 0.1% of China’s population.